St. Lawrence History
St. Lawrence Catholic School was established in 1931-32. In its beginnings, St. Lawrence was staffed by the Sisters of St. Dominic - Adrian, and remained so until the early 1970s. Classes were offered in grades one through eight.
The school year of 1953-54 marked the opening of the senior high school. A new building was erected for this secondary school. A portion of this new structure housed the upper grades of the elementary school while the lower grades remained in the original school and church. This original building was raised several years ago. The school year of 1970-71 marked the end of St. Lawrence High School. The following year brought the entire elementary school together when all grades now occupied the newer building.
Difficult economic times and a movement toward public education resulted in declining enrollments for the school. Consolidation of grades, reduction in staff, the institution of the St. Lawrence Educational Foundation, and the dedication of the pastor enabled the school to persevere during these difficult times.
Staffing began to change dramatically. Lay teachers began replacing religious. This called for the development of a professional religious education department, and the training of lay personnel in catechetical development. This began the close relationship of a religious education program, one within a school setting and another outside regular classroom instruction.
As we moved through the late 1970s and 1980s, enrollment began to show improvements. By the middle of the 1980s, students numbered around 500. The school began an expansion program in 1997. Now that the expansion is complete we can accommodate a total of 800 students.